Monday, December 25, 2006

Seam Riep & Angkor



11.12.2004

Angkor

I was looking forward to feasting my eyes on the spectacles of the ancient world that form the Angkor Site. This place is seriously rich in history from ancient times. History has never been a strong point for me so I won't pretend that I'm an expert on this, as I clearly am not. The ancient site is situated a few miles out of Seam Riep, where everybody stays and eats. Seam Riep, in itself, was a nice place. Quite small and obviously growing from the tourism surrounding Angkor.

We booked into a guest house, named the 13th guest house, interesting name. Our visit to Seam Riep was purely to spend some time taking in as much as possible at Angkor. Which we did.

We bought 3-day passes for about $60 US, a fortune by Cambodian standards. The pictures really do the talking. The structures were phenomenal, really breathtaking. Massive monliths of ancient times, some dating back as far as the 2nd century.

Angelina Jolie and the Tombraider crew headed to Angkor Wat to shoot scenes for the first movie. You might recognise the outside, I didn't as I've not seen the film.


No comments: