Monday, December 11, 2006

Laouch in Luang Nam Tha



Laos

I arrived in Laos with a Bang, so-to-speak. After crossing the border into Boten, on the Laotian side, I headed for the nearest town of a respectable size. Well, it was more a case of the busses not going anywhere else. Luang Nam Tha was a huge cultural shake up after spending my 30 days in China.

The weather was nice and hot again. People understood my language and it was a chunk and a half cheaper than China.

I met a Canadian feller, Aaran, and headed out for a bit of a bicycle trek to a waterfall. Upon my attempt to cross a bridge with a hole in it I cycled off the side of the bridge and fell at high speed stright into the ground head first. I was seeing stars for about five minutes before dragging myself up off the floor and heading back to my room to rest. Here's the drop. I landed on that slightly softer grassy patch. Note the lack of 'bridge' on the top of the downslope.



A day or two after I headed out for an exploratory bike mission again with Aaran. We cycled through a village and were invited in by a few of the villagers for drinks. One house was having a bit of a bash. They were all wasted. We were encouraged to drink Lao Rice Whiskey. Home or locally made (next door). The village was surrounded by rice paddies. Green, so green.

"Left, or right? "

I took a bus to Muang Xay with an American feller called Mike from Washington DC.

No comments: