Friday, December 29, 2006

The Beginning

THAILAND

18.11.2004


Bangkok

My travels began in Bangkok, Thailand on the 18th November 2004. I met a Welsh feller (Nathan) on the bus to the Khao San Road, the road fabricated for backpackers. Headed out that evening after finding accomodation and grabbed a bite to eat followed by a few SangSom buckets. SangSom Thai Rhum + Coke + Red Bull = Good fun + Memory wipe.

I woke the following morning to discover that my bag (containing wallet and camera) was missing. Where could it be? Nathan also couldn't find his bag. Strange. We had been robbed in the night. Welcome to Thailand and Welcome to Travelling! Morale was at an instant low.

I spent my first day trekking over town to find the tourist police to get a statement and see if they could do anything about it. They coudln't.

The following week was spent with Nathan on the Khao San Road. The Khao San isn't the sort of place you should spend any prolonged amount of time on. I arranged for my bank card to be sent out. Waiting for money. Waiting. Thankfully Nathan lent me cash for the week or I would have been up a creek without a paddle!

My week in Bangkok was spent visiting Siam Square (Shopping District), MBK (Mall), riding the Skytrain (along Sukumvit Rd.), watching some locals practising Thai Chi in Lumphini Park, riding the River Express to Banglamphu, walking around a Sunday Market, Dusit Zoo.

Was getting a little worried by this point that my cashcard wasn't going to arrive (fingers were crossed permanently). Nathan could have moved on at any point leaving me cashless and on the street. He didn't.

My cashcard arrived! Went shopping at Panthip Plaza and replaced my camera. Booked the next bus out of Bangkok, destination Koh Chang. I needed some 'island-therapy'. Things must get better from here.

The Ever-busy Khao San Road. Busy 24 hours a day, regardless. Music, food stalls, bars, restaurants markets, secret side-streets, The Khao San has it all.

No comments: