Thursday, December 14, 2006

Chinese New Year in Kunming



Kunming

My next destination was Kunming. I was in full swing of my China experience and loving it. The challenge of booking a train ticket. Getting off the train at what, I hoped, was the stop I was planning on. Finding accomodation. It was all becoming a lot more manageable and fun.

I was recommended a hostel by Chris, a nice Canadian chap I met whilst in Chengdu. Once settled in at the hostel I did my usual walk around, impression gathering stompt. Kunming looked nice and the weather was far nicer than the icy north. I was heading the the direction of the tropics once again.

Chinese New Year approached fast and before I knew it, celebrations were underway. Big decorations all over the streets. Fireworks. Revellers all obsessed with the ;ashings of good luck that the year of the rooster could and hopefully would bring. Chinese New Years Day saw millions, well probably all 4 million, of Kunming residents fill the streets from morning until night. The sales were on and spirits were high. Just look at the chaos in this picure.



I stopped in the central square to allow the traditional dragon show mesmerise me. Drums were beaten. The energy was so apparent throughout the scores and scores of people.


It was a short stay in Kunming before heading off to Dali.

No comments: