Sunday, December 24, 2006

Phnom Pehn - The Return



16.12.2004

Guess Whos Back

Back to the Sunday Guest house for a few nights before devising our entry to Vietnam. Naseem, the hotel guy, was happy to see us again.

The following day it was a lie-in and then off to the National Museum. We were feeding our cultural addiction. More Bhudda statues, Naga Statues and intricate ancient carvings. Some had come directly from the Angkor site and others from all over Cambodia. Cambodia is a fascinating country I knew so, so little about before crossing it's border.

Which leads me nicely off at a tangent to add this: I didn't travel with a Lonely Planet, or any guide book. I wanted surprise on a daily basis, which cannot be gained through research. I guess thats why I spent 6 months in Asia instead of my original 'planned' 4 months.

The National Museum


Shooting an M16 Rifle

The following day I took a cruise up to the Shooting Range. A common rumour said that you can fire M16s and AK47s for a price. The price was $30 US for 30 Bullets, but its not everyday this opportunity faces us is it? 30 Bullets don't last too long. The noise was shocking. Possibly the loudest thing I've ever heard, thats with ear deflectors on too. On a more real note, I felt a little somber at the thought of these guns being used to kill innocent people in the Khmer Rouge revolution.

Motorbike Wash

The following day it was time to head to Vietnam on a scenic Meekong River trip. Another day another country. That's what is was starting to feel like.

No comments: