Thursday, December 07, 2006

Back in Thai, First stop Pai



Pai

It felt good to be back in the familiar surroundings of Thailand. I have to say that Thailand is without a doubt the most comfortable place to travel in Southeast Asia. Everything is there neccessary to travel easily and cheaply.

I crossed into Chiang Rai across the river from Laos and headed in a van texi thing to Chiang Mai. I spent a night or two in Chiang Mai before taking the bus to Pai. Whilst in Chiang Mai I ran into Eric again walking through a busy market. Eric was keen to ride up to Pai on motorbike and meet us there. We had a crew in the making.

Pai is a smallish town but very popular with travellers. I was full of guest houses and eateries. They even had a Seven/11!

Pai had plenty t do despite its size. Nearby waterfalls, hot springs and canyons were the main attraction. Each day was spent visiting one of these things, or even a couple on an adventurous day.

One day Eefje (Holland), Tony and Jen (Western Australia) and myself cycled off on a bit of a 'Tour de Pai'. We wanted to see the waterfalls. So off we went. It was 6 km each way. I hadn't worked my body that hard for some time, so it was pretty gruelling at times. We made it and it was worth it.



A Bhuddist Monument en route to the waterfall

As we were cycling back into town, someone clever decides we should cycle another 12 km round trip to the canyon for sunset! Silly me agreed. So off we went. Eric had the right idea hiring a motorbike and using horsepower to get there ache-free!

There wasn't a huge amount to see or do at the canyon so Eefje and I decided to 'make' some photos like this one.




The hot springs were well worth it. Could have done with being a bit cooler. But you don't sit in a hot spring to cool down, I guess. Whilst on out way there, this time on motorbike, we pass a rather slow taxi, take a look.



Don't tread on me


From left to right: Sarah (Canada), Eric and Stu (Australia)

Easy Riders Eric and I cruised to Lod Cave one morning. A good 60 km away this was one awsome mini-roadtrip. The scenery all the way was great. Meandering roads. Hills. Green as far as the eye could see. This picture was taken at a stop-off halfway there. We bought banana cake and an energy drink called M150, apparently stronger than Redbull. It didn't touch me!


Easy Rider

Much time was spent in hammock with Sangsom and Coke. Eric was awesome on guitar, so many an evening was spent singing and drinking to excess. Great memories. Some of the best memories I have, and thats saying alot. Oh and I grew a beard too.


Aviators and Beard

One more quick visit to the waterfalls and hot springs, for good measure, and then 'The Crew' headed en mass to Mae Hong Son. The land of the Karen Longneck tribes. Here is 'The Crew'.


Left to Right: Eefje (NL), Sharon (Aus), Eric (Can), Byron (Aus) and Lucas (US)

No comments: