Friday, December 15, 2006

Panda-monium in Chengdu



Chengdu

Another hellishly long train journey and I arrived in Chengdu. China astounded me in that every city I visited lived millions and millions of people. I think the population of Chengdu was around the 6 million mark again. The reason I went here should be somewhat obvious to you by now.

They were very cute. A little sedate at the best of times. Sleep. Eat. Sleep some more. Eat for an hour or two. Etc. Luckily we got there during the eat period. The light isn't so good in the photos as it was just after dawn on a wintry Chinese morning. This centre was one of the leading in the country, and the world, in successful Panda breeding. I learnt why Pandas are becoming extict. In summary, they don't like to procreate beacause they spend all of their time and energy chewing through bamboo shoots, which gives them just enough energy to chew some more when they wake up after their nap. Basically, they are the laziest creatures on the planet, and they simply can't be bothered to have sex anymore. Simple as that!

They are, however, beautiful things. And so aesthetically accomodating for me and my fellow colour-blind folk.

No comments: